Python curses import error

I'm trying to write my first Python curses program.  The "Curses
Programming with Python" HOWTO (A.M. Kychling, April 1998) says
there are two modules, "curses" (Lance Ellinghouse) included with the
Python distribution, and the enhanced "cursesmodule" (Oliver Andrich,
http://www.fga.de/andrich/creations.html#cursesmodule -- but the webpage
is gone now).

On my Slink system, I can do "import curses" fine.  But if I do
"import cursesmodule", it says:
% python
Python 1.5.1 (#1, Oct 15 1998, 01:17:50)  [GCC 2.7.2.3] on linux2
>>> import cursesmodule
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: dynamic module does not define init function (initcursesmodule)

"cursesmodule" on my computer is actually
/usr/lib/python1.5/lib-dynload/cursesmodule.so .  "curses" does not exist
as curses.so or curses.py or anything, so it must be inside the Python
binary or something, I guess.

mso@vango:~% dpkg -l python\*                       [exit=1] [tty=p2] [11:35AM]
ii  python-base     1.5.1-5        An interactive object-oriented scripting
ii  python-curses   1.5.1-5        Curses support libraries for Python.
ii  python-dev      1.5.1-5        Header files and a static library for Python

--
-Mike Orr, mso@jimpick.com