Re: how do I extract a 2.6 gigabyte .tar.gz file ?

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Darxus wrote:

> I felt like checking.  Oops.  When I reinstalled & tried to restore it, I
> found out that gzip can't seek to the end of the file (dies around 2gb?).

 You can force gzip to handle it as a stream. Try something like:

 cat tarfile.tgz | gunzip -c | tar xvf -

 The "-c" tells gunzip to pipe it to stdout, and the "xvf -" tells tar
to verbosely extract the file coming into stdin. If I understand your
problem correctly, this should work.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles       (248) 377-7735        ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

    "Monkeys would be harder on equipment than college students,
          but only because they're stronger." - Jim Ingles