RE: Procmail and smail

>From: 	Pann McCuaig[SMTP:pann@ourmanpann.com]
>
>This document helped me do exactly what you want. Nice step-by-step
>instructions that include tests along the way.
>
>Email:
> Send mail to:
>    mail-server@rtfm.mit.edu
>
> Containing the following in the body of the message:
>    send usenet/news.answers/mail/filtering-faq

While this document didn't cover setting up procmail as the default
transport, I followed some pointers from it and found details on the web
(which say they come from the examples directory in procmail, although I
couldn't find them in /usr/doc/procmail) on how to do just this.
Specifically,

2c.Special directions for sites with smail
    ---------------------------------------

For smail 2.x users there are two options:

i.  Move the current local-mail-delivery program (probably /bin/lmail)
    out of the way, make a symbolic or hard link from procmail to the
    name of that program (e.g. "ln /usr/local/bin/procmail /bin/lmail")

ii. Make sure the following macro is defined in src/defs.h:
    #define LMAIL(frm,sys) "/usr/local/bin/procmail -d"

For smail 3.x users there are also two options:

i.  The same solution as for smail 2.x (however, method ii is preferred)

ii. Replace any existing "local"-entry in the /usr/lib/smail/transports
file
    (create one, if need be) with the following two lines:
           user=root, cmd="/usr/local/bin/procmail -d $($user$)"

I used method (ii) for 3.x (the file is /etc/smail/transports in
debian). Be careful, you need to use commas and semicolons just as shown
(semicolon after driver=pipe, commas elsewhere) which I missed first
time...

Now working just as I want.

Hope this helps others with the same requirements,
Paul.