Re: HELP!! Slink hosed my system!!!

Person, Rod wrote:

> Help!
>
> On the recommendation of others, I attempted to download some apps from
> slink! I had done this before and everything worked fine!
>
> Not this time I need to download libc6 and libreadline2 from slink along
> with mime-support from slink. I missed then dependency of mime-support
> until after the damage was done. mime-support reported dependent to
> ncurses4. I didn't have it now my ncurses3 is broke! I try to use .deb's
> to repair and they report
>         no script for install.
> I tried
>         dpkg --configure ncurses3.4
> no go...reported that it could not find libncurses.so.4
>
> I tried ldconfig.
> I got mad. I shutdown the PC!!! I started later....I can't log in
> because it can't libncurses.so.4......I did not know this was so
> important a lib!!! I'm a newbie!!! Anyway can this be fixed or do I have
> to totally re-install!! I don't have a rescue disk -- was going to make
> it this weekend but....
>
> Can anyone e-mail me rescue144.bin and rawrite so I can make the disk
> here at work and fix my PC at home. I don't have web or ftp access at
> work. If not any Ideas....

Find rescue144.bin and rawrite2.exe on Debian WWW site..
www.debian.org..under the installation help.txt...

You can ftp ncurses3.4 from ftp.debian.org /debian/hamm/i386-contrib/ base or main I forget...

then install it
dkpg -i ncurses3.4.blah.deb

You prob distroyed alot.. but..you should of been more carefull

If your gona mess with Slink and you have HAMM
then when you add the dselect to look at the /slink/blah ect..
and then goto the files to select..I suggest to go through and
mark EVERY LAST THING on HOLD
"=" and then becarefull what you
download and remove or update...

check the debian bug trac site too..