Re: More than one question....

> 1.  Netscape Messenger takes a /very/ long time to load. Navigator loads
> pretty quickly but then it takes Messenger a good 6 minutes to load.  I
> had version 4.5 so I figured it might be a bug so I downgraded to 4.07
> but to no avail. Everything works fine (i'm using messenger right now),
> it just takes a long time to load.  Any ideas what this could be? I'm
> thinking I might not have enough RAM...which leads to my second problem:

hey, I use 3.0, and that's only because I can't click on links with
lynx (0k, and also that lynx can't launch extra windows of itself so
that i can keep the first page open).

> 2.  I have 32 megs of RAM, but when I call free, it says that I have 30.
> Where'd my last two go???  Actually, why don't I just show you:

The kernel takes a couple.

>                         total       used       free     shared
> buffers     cached
> Mem:         30264      29080       1184      17572        172
> 12296
> -/+ buffers/cache:      16612      13652
> Swap:        64256      12952      51304
>
> Also, should the system be taking up so much? Right after I reboot, it's
> already taking up almost all of the real RAM.  I'm going to upgrade
> anyway, but I was wondering if this was normal?

> 3.  Where are the startup configuration files?

/etc

>  As in where does linux
> store the list of daemons that it has to start up,

/etc/init.d/ has the startup scripts.  Follow the links and
you'll find run-level stuff.

> and can I add my own without too much danger?

Once you understand the above, probably :)

> 4. Finally, how do I change the default resolution X windows starts up
> at? Right now it starts up at 1280x1024.  It could be much worse, I
> guess, I could be starting at a resolution of 2 or something.  But
> 1280x1024 on a 15 inch monitor is sorta high.  I can switch it once I
> start up but then I have to reconfigure my monitor and the virtual
> desktop is still at 1280x1024.

either edit /etc/X11/XF86Config and change the "modes" line for your
display, or (the easy way) use XF86Setup (not xf86setup), which
let's you click on the modes you want to use.

rick