installing non-debian software :O

Well, I tried to install some non-debian software in the weekend (:O!
The two heretical pieces were tkgoodstuff, and the blackbox wm.

My understanding is that non-debian stuff should go in /usr/local/bin and
/usr/local/lib, is that right? I had to edit the Makefiles to do this.

Also, the blackbox configure/Makefile rigmarole seemed a little confused: it
tried to put things into /usr/local/bin/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults or
somesuch, which doesn't exist. I got a bit fed up and tried to make install it
without altering the makefiles (having run a make distclean beforehand) but it
had the same problems.

I edited the Makefile to point to the
appropriate place, but even now blackbox was expecting to find the
app-defaults in /usr/X11R6/lib/lib/X11/app-defaults (note the repeated "lib")
which I was forced to create to appease the damn thing. It runs now, but the
"Reconfigure" menu option (which I guess configures the WM) doesn't do
anything.

Any thoughts on the matter? Do other people typically hack Makefiles to
install non debianized software?

--

Andrew Tarr
"We were so close to heaven --- Peter came out and gave us badges,