Re: tar and the braindead man

---Anthony Landreneau <landrena@idsno.com> wrote:

> Ok Kenneth,
>    I must be missing something here, other than my mind of course.
This is
> the requirment:
> I have a tape with a tar file on it, lets call it thefile.tar .  I
need to
> make two copies of that file, back on two other tapes.  So I will have
> three tapes with three identical copies of this tar file.
>    I got thefile.tar off of the original tape using
>
> tar -xv ./thefile.tar -C /usr/thedirectorystore

Ok your tape has a tar image on it.  NOT a file.  Tar files are a
collection of files (sortof like a .zip file is, only not compressed).
 A tar file is an arcive.  Now streaming tapes don't have file systems
on them (ususally).  So when you use tar to archive a collection of
files (say the contents of a given directory) you can create a tar
image IN A FILE on your disk, or you can write the image to the tape.
Now when you want to extract the image from the tape (thereby
re-creating the directory on the disk) the command is

tar -xvf /dev/st0

which will extract the directory and all files to the disk.  You must
give an arguement to tell tar where on the disk to place the files.
It can place them at the original locations (which you don't want),
into the current directory, or a specific directory.  I don't have the
tar manual in front of me so I can't help here.

>    The tar file is now on the hard drive.  Now I want to put it back
onto
> tape, gee, simple minded me thought
>
> tar -cv ./thefile.tar -C /usr/thedirectorystore

Once you have extracted the directory back to the disk, to write it
out to a new tape just

tar -cvf /dev/st0 /the_extracted_directory

The -xf option specifies the SOURCE for extraction

the -cf option specifies the DESTINATION for creation.

Note that if you really had a tar file on your disk, then to extract
the directory (into the current directory where the .tar file is) the
command is

tar -xvf tarfile.tar

which assumes that the current directory has a file named tarfile.tar
and the extracted directory structure will be created in the current
directory.

> and bingo, but that doesn't seems to be happening.  Any ideas on how
I can

debian-user-request@lists.debian.org <