dselect Woes

Dselect is indeed not a begineer's best friend. (Been there, done
that!) There are several ways to tackle using it (or not) in
installing debian.  What worked for me was to enter allow the install
script to drop me into dselect after the reboot and let it install the
basic packages.  The first phase is the access method.  Just say CD,
give the access path to your cdrom (/dev/hdc if you cd rom is the
master on the second ide interface), take the default directory for
main, and say 'none' for each of the other sections.  Then hit <CR>
for the 'Update' phase, <CR> again to enter the 'Select' phase.
<space bar> to exit the help screen, and <CR> to accept the default
packages.  Now just hit <CR> for the 'configure', 'remove' and  'exit'
phases.  Deselect has just installed the usual bunch of packages.

To add packages, re-run deselect as before but DON'T hit cr on the
'update' phase.  Arrow down to the 'select' phase because you have
already done the update before.  Arrow down to look at each package.
The descriptions are on the bottom of the screen.  Use the '+' key (on
your keypad) to select a package to install.  If the package depends
on others a second screen pops up with the selections that you need.
Recommended or suggested packages are also shown but selection is not
forced.  Use the '+' key to accept them if you want.  Then hit <cr> to
get back to the main screen to select more packages.  Hit <cr> in the
main screen to start installing.  Proceed as in the first case.  Oh
yeah....RTFM!!  Don't try to install X until the usual packages are
installed first.  Trying to get the whole system installed and
configured in one sitting is too much for the beginner.  One thing at
a time.  In fact, don't even try getting X up until you have your PPP
connection, printer, networking, user accounts etc up.  (Save the hard
part for last!)

Good luck and have fun!
Hello,

I am trying to install the Debian Release 2.0 (CheapBytes) and am
having trouble with the dselect utility. If I am reading the help file
correctly one can highlight "all packages", press return, and then
proceed to installation.
When I do that there are an enormous number of packages that are not
installed. (I would think "all packages" would mean exactly that but it
apparently does not.) I have also tried selecting the packages of
interest only to result
in an installation that ls X* would show X86Config under /etc but ls -l
would not. More could also not find the X86Config file. Rather than
puzzle out why this was happening on a new install I am simply
reinstalling the entire
system. Comments or suggestions for dealing with dselect?