Re: ISDN Adapter or Eth Router or Serial

On Sun, 25 Oct 1998 20:11:44 -0800 (PST), George Bonser wrote:

>We have had good luck at work with Ascend ISDN equipment. If you are on
>metered ISDN (as opposed to Centrex ISDN) make sure you program that thing

Could you please explain to a German user what the difference between metered
ISDN and Centrex ISDN is?

>to not pass netbios traffic. Otherwise the darned ISDN will dial up every
>time someone with a Windows box on your network clicks "Network
>Neighborhood".

It will only do this if you don't have the correct firewalling/forwarding
entries. :-)

What I'm trying to say is that with some effort you can have dial-on-demand
WITHOUT the ISDN router dialing out each time you browse the network from a
Windoze box. I know since I was using ISDN to connect to the internet because I
got my ADSL line (BTW, George, I got 8M downlink and 768K uplink :-)

Ralf

--
Ralf G. R. Bergs * Welkenrather Str. 100/102 * 52074 Aachen * Germany
+49-241-876892, +49-241-877776 (fax) * rabe@rwth-aachen.de  * PGP ok!