Re: dselect Woes

On Sun, 25 Oct 1998, Patrick Durusau wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to install the Debian Release 2.0 (CheapBytes) and am
> having trouble with the dselect utility. If I am reading the help file
> correctly one can highlight "all packages", press return, and then
> proceed to installation.

You CAN NOT install all packages, many are mutually exclusive ans other
conflict with each other in many ways.  Why would you want sendmail, and
smail, and exim, and qmail all running at the same time? WHy do you want
every single possible X server?

> When I do that there are an enormous number of packages that are not
> installed. (I would think "all packages" would mean exactly that but it
> apparently does not.)

Yes it does, it is just that the system will not allow you to install ALL
packages because it makes no sense.

 I have also tried selecting the packages of
> interest only to result
> in an installation that ls X* would show X86Config under /etc but ls -l
> would not. More could also not find the X86Config file.

THat is because the file has probably not been generated yet. When you
install X it asks you if you want to make the config file. Did you select
no?