Re: My mail doesn't work at all :((((((((((((((( (fwd)

On Sun, 25 Oct 1998, M.C. Vernon wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> 	No reply, so some more info:
>
> when trying /etc/init.d/exim start|stop|reload or anything, I get no
> message like starting MTA.... I suspect this may be connected with my
> problem. How can I get it working properly, please?
>
> Matthew

That is because if you look at the /etc/init.d/exim script, you will see
that the first command is

exit 0

This is because exim is normally configured to run from inetd and not as a
stand alone daemon.  There is a bug when replacing exim with smail. On
removal, smail completely deletes the smtp entry in /etc/inetd.conf and
exim does not add a new one.

If you want exim to run as a stand alone daemon, simply comment out the
exit 0 statement with a # in front of it in /etc/init.d/exim and then
rerun the script.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!