Re: Bug in CD-ROM modules ???

ivan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This is further to my post last titled "THIRD TIME - please help".  I am
> sorry but I haven't got a copy because I had to format my Win95 partition
> and re-install.

Hey I know the feeling.

> No doubt you are all bored of this but I have tried all of the suggestions
> given and still can't get Hamm to install from CD.
>
> The problem as described previously is an IRQ timeout error (0xd0) which
> occurs repeatedly when installing Hamm from CD.

Here are a few possibilities:
	-Your CD-ROM is not set to slave if it is sharing a IDE channel with a
HDD.
	-Your CD-ROM spins down and cannot spin-up fastenough to send data
(causing a time-out)

What would be nice to know:
	-what IDE channel is the CD-ROM on?
	-does the CD-ROM share a channel with a hard disk?
	-is the IDE channel on a soundcard?

What you could try:
	-have someone else try to install from the CD (maybe it's bad?)
	-put the CD-ROM on a separate IDE channel if it currently is sharing
one, or vice versa.
	-report back with more error messages if problems persist
	-install from FTP (I know it's slow, I have a 14.4Kbps modem and it
took me a week to install Debian from FTP because of my ISP
restrictions)

> I see from the archives that several other people have discussed this but I
> didn't see a solution proposed.  Any ideas now ???

Tell me where these archives are and maybe I'll find something in them
(I haven't looked lately)
> The disk is fine - Win95 reads it without a problem and with only the Hamm
> base system installed I was able to copy from it to a directory in my Linux
> partition until I ran out of room ( how did a 650Mb CD use up a 1.5Gb
> partition BTW ? )

All .deb files are compressed and normally expand to about twice their
size.
> During the installation I can hear the drive constantly speed up then slow
> down then speed up etc... when dselect is operating and then finally it
> grinds to a halt and errors occur.

Is anything installed or is it seeking continually "seeking".
> I have a P166mmx with a 2.5Gb h/d, 32Mb memory, 1.44Mb floppy and 24X speed
> ATAPI CD-ROM.  The name of the CD-ROM is Diamond Data which I believe is
> manufactured by Mitsubishi.
>
> I have previously installed Hamm on the system by FTP which ran perfectly
> and even played music CD's but please don't tell me to reinstall by FTP as
> this takes me about two days to download because of work commitments and
> ISP time restrictions.
>
> The CD-ROM is supposed to be the official distribution which I purchased
> from DVD Rent in Victoria, Australia.
>
> If you need more info to help please ask.
>
> TIA
>
> Ivan.

Mark Panzer