Can I view .bmp and .avi files in Debian?

I'm using Netscape Communicator 4.06 on a hamm box. If someone sends me
an email message with a .bmp or .avi attachment, can I view the
attachment? If I click on the .bmp attachment it asks where I want to
save the decoded file. If I give it a name, it saves the file, but I
still haven't been able to see it. If I click on the .avi attachment the
message area of Netscape Mail clears and just sits there until I click
on another message in the list of messages area.

Thanks.