mgetty-fax and printing faxes

I have completed my installation of Debian 2.0. This basically was
a rebuild of an old 1.1 system, which needed a refreshment.
All worked well, and I am currently attempting to solve the
last bits and pieces.
One strange thing remains. If I print a normal resulution fax
received by mgetty from the newfax script sets, it compresses
the image to half a page on my HP4L. If I receive a high res
fax, it prints out very well.
I vaguely recall having simular probs when I build the 1.1 box,
but that was long time ago and I have solved it than. My scripts
are identical.
If anyone has any pointer hoe to solve this, I would be very
thankful!

Best regards,

Erik van der Meulen