Re: what is the recommended way to downgrade?

On 22 Oct 1998, Stan Heckman wrote:

> What is the correct way to downgrade a package?
> I can remove it and then reinstall, but removing xbase wants
> to remove an awful lot of other packages with it. (I want to
> downgrade xbase because, after installing Version: 3.3.2.3a-4,
> I don't seem to have xset anymore.)
>

> $ dpkg --search xset
> xloadimage: /usr/X11R6/bin/xsetbg
> tk4.2: /usr/lib/tk4.2/demos/ixset
> tkstep8.0: /usr/lib/tkstep8.0/demos/ixset
> perl-tk: /usr/doc/perl-tk/examples/ixset.gz
> tetex-base: /usr/lib/texmf/fonts/source/public/cm/texset.mf
> tk8.0: /usr/lib/tk8.0/demos/ixset
> $

dpkg --force-downgrade -i <file.deb>

I believe thats right... knowing my luck I will be missing something
important there. (You have to download the file yourself.. I have no idea
how to get apt or whichever to do it)

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

                            BIT: Past tense of BYTE.