Re: Waiting for scripts in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d

Paul writes:
> I've come to the conclusion that the best way of doing what I'm after is
> to dial up manually, using pon. This is no problem. Diald doesn't really
> offer me anything extra here, as I basically don't want to dial up on
> demand... BUT, once I am online, I'd like to be able to get at the bit of
> diald's functionality which monitors the link, and hangs up (preferably
> using poff) when the link goes idle for a specified length of time.

Use pppconfig to create a connection named 'getnews' or something.  Then
go into /etc/ppp/peers/getnews and add the line 'idle 60'.  This will tell
pppd to shut down the link when it has been idle for 60 seconds.  When you
just want to get news and mail give the command 'pon getnews'.

Also, if you change pon from

/usr/sbin/pppd call ${1:-provider}

/usr/sbin/pppd call ${1:-provider} ipparam ${1:-provider}

the provider name given to pon will be in $6 in ip-up and you can make
ip-up alter its behavior depending on the provider name.