Re: need help getting X server running...

At 09:06 PM 10/21/1998 -0700, Jesse Evans wrote:

> Folks,
>
>   I've recently installed debian on my PC and can't get the X server
working.
> I've run the XF86Setup app and it completed sucessfully, telling me I had
> established a properly working server, but when I quit, saving the config to
> XF86Config, and run startx, I get the following:
>

>     (a long list of messages which scroll up the screen, followed by...)
>
>     *** none of the configured devices were detected ***
>    Fatal server error: no screens found
>    - X11 TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
>    giving up.
>
>    xinit: connection refused (errno 111) unable to connect to xserver
>    xinit: no such process (errno 3): server error
>
>    I'm running on a 133Mhz Intel PC with a Trident 9440 graphics chip. What
> is going on?

I've had this problem also. I've learned that I have better success if I
answer
"No" when asked if I want to use my existing XF86Config file as the basis for
continuing.

Also, check your /etc/X11/Xserver file to see which server you're running
(XF86_SVGA or XF86_VGA16, etc). I don't believe the XF86Setup program modifies
this file, although it seems to me that it should.

Also, you might want to try running xf86config instead of XF86Setup. It's the
non-graphical setup and does things a bit differently. It may work, or at
least
give you a clue as to what's going wrong.

Also, post the full list of errors instead of just the last one about
TransSocket.....

It's been my experience that by looking at those messages I'll see something
like "800x600 mode requires a horiz rate of 64), and then I can go bump up the
horiz rate in XF86Config to that setting (careful that you don't smoke your
monitor by pushing beyond it's capabilities) and get a working res.

Kent West, Technology Support
kent.west@infotech.acu.edu
Abilene Christian Univ., Abilene, TX
915-674-2557  FAX: 915.674.6724
Amateur Radio: KC5ENO
Debian Linux: Ride the wave with the penguins!