need help getting X server running...

Folks,

  I've recently installed debian on my PC and can't get the X server working. I've run the XF86Setup app and it completed sucessfully, telling me I had established a properly working server, but when I quit, saving the config to XF86Config, and run startx, I get the following:

    (a long list of messages which scroll up the screen, followed by...)

    *** none of the configured devices were detected ***
   Fatal server error: no screens found
   - X11 TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
   giving up.

   xinit: connection refused (errno 111) unable to connect to xserver
   xinit: no such process (errno 3): server error

   If I su to root and run xdm, my display starts flashing, rendering all subsequent operation useless. The only way out at this point is Ctl-Alt-Del.

   I've read all the docs included with debian, as well as the FAQ and tutorial at their website and have found nothing to help.

   I'm running on a 133Mhz Intel PC with a Trident 9440 graphics chip. What is going on?

'til next we type...
HAVE FUN!! -- Jesse