Still can't execute! Permissions?

Put in the current dir, got this as a snippet of the log.  ???

date
Thu Oct 22 00:19:05 PDT 1998
cc -c source/zunix.c
Assembler messages:
FATAL: Can't create zunix.o: Permission denied
mv zunix.o object/zunix.o
mv: zunix.o: No such file or directory
if ( pc-linux == sgi ) then
if ( pc-linux == necsx ) then
if ( ( pc-linux == hp9000 ) | ( pc-linux == convexspp ) | ( pc-linux ==
hitachi
if ( pc-linux == pc-linux ) then
cc -c source/zpcunix.c
Assembler messages:
FATAL: Can't create zpcunix.o: Permission denied
mv zpcunix.o object
mv: zpcunix.o: No such file or directory
endif
[...]

Why am I denied?  I own the darned thing.  My home dir, subdir, etc.  rwx
are all mine, mine, mine ... and that's where I reside when I run it.

Sorry to be so lame.  Any obvious things here?

Kenward