Re: Thanks! Re: Removing ^M in files--in bulk?

On Tue, Oct 20, 1998 at 09:52:38PM -0700, kvaughan@bc.cc.ca.us wrote:
> Wow!  Thanks for the quick replies, people.  Now I get to play with several
> approaches.
>
> Are there any good books (starting at a basic level working up) for things
> like this?  Perl seems to be a hot thing for Linux (as well as shell
> programming/scripting).  While it will take me a while to get up the curve,
> it would be nice to have so good refernces around.

Well...
Any GOOD book on Unix in general will be a great help in running a linux
system. Just remember that some of the commands may be slightly differnt
(ie take what you read with a grain of salt and if it doesn't work as expected
check man command_name against th ebook ;) )

There are a few Linux books out there now... "Learn Linux in 24 Hours" comes
to mind (its broken up into 24 lessons...I got the UNIX version of the same
book for my father a while back (before the Linux version existed).

There is a book on debian..and i hear it is updated for 2.0 (dunno if its
releaced yet and I havn't read either one).

RedHat published a book with ALL of the man pages they could get in one
big paperback volume. There are of course differences between Debian and
RedHat too but...it can be helpfull at 3 am when you NEED paper docs
cuz your eyes are about to burst. (or the system is royally AFU ;) )

In general the best documentation I have found is probably already on your
system...check out /usr/doc/HOWTO - great stuff in there!

Perl is great...but I wouldn't recommend it as a first language ;)
It isgreat but...a bit twisted. It makes a nice tool to write
fast an efficient programs...but hardly good for learning fundamentals ;)
even a good perl program tends to look as much like line noise as anything
else.

of course the best way to learn is to have no fear of screwing it up :)
remember that (aside from loosing data) the worst that can happen from
screwing the entire system up is that you get REALLY good at re-installing
it :) (well ok..it ruins your uptime too...but so do power outages)

-Steve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"