can't access cdrom, no isofs after install

Hi all,

I have a problem that's driving me a little nuts.  I've installed debian2.0
(from cheap bytes), and I just can't get the cdrom to work properly.  Here
are the details:

- When I try to mount, I get a message saying the kernal doesn't support iso9660.
- I've reinstalled the base system at least 4 times, and every time the
cdrom has been inaccessible after reboot.
- When doing the base install, at the point where I can pick drivers and
things, there is no iso9660fs or isofs listed with the other file systems.
- I've done a bit of searching DejaNews, but none of the suggestions I've
found have helped.
- I know about how to do mounts and put things in /etc/fstab and all that.
- The cdrom works fine if I boot from the boot floppy that I created during
the installation procedure, but not if I boot from the hard disk.
- I've looked int /etc/conf.modules, there is a line saying "alias iso9660 isofs".
- Doing a "insmod isofs" fails (can't find the module).
- Looking in /lib/modules/2.0.x/fs, I see no isofs.  I do see a number of
modules named something like "nls_iso8559_x".

Has anyone gone through something similar?

--
       Jack Nutting  :  jnutting@rat.se
   Research & Trade  :  www.rat.se