Re: HELP: Root login broken

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998 timothy@smasher.rs.itd.umich.edu wrote:

> Hi everyone, all of a sudden my root login seems  to have broken.
>         When I su to root, it just stops and doesn't do anything. When I switch
> to another VC and try to login as root, it gets as far as telling me I have no
> mail, then it just stops.I have to press Ctrl+C to get out in both cases.
>         Luckily when it started doing this I was logged in as root in one VC,
> so I can still do stuff, but I have to figure out what is going on quickly and
> fix it before I have a powerfailure or something, because when the machine
> comes back up, most likely I still wont beable to login root and no doubt I will
> have to be root to fix whatever is wrong, so i'll be doomed.
>
>         Any ideas on where I should start trying to fix this?

This is a known problem with sysklogd 1.3-29 in slink (many of us were
unpleasantly surprised by this).

To resolve this, either reboot your system and type 'linux single' at the
LILO prompt or boot with a rescue disk, mounting your root directory.

Do 'chmod -x /etc/init.d/sysklogd'.  This will disable syslog and permit
you to log in as root or use su to become root.

Next either downgrade to the sysklogd in hamm or upgrade to sysklogd
1.3-30 in slink and restore the x permissions (chmod +x) to
/etc/init.d/sysklogd.

Bob

----