Re: just shoot me

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Nikolai Andreyevich Luzan wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, George Bonser wrote:
>
> The whole point of freeze is that no new packages are added and bugs
> in existing packages (like this, an obviously other bugs in sysklog as
> it is a the 29th release of 1.3) are fixed before the system release.

I just wonder .... when a freeze is announced, a lot of people load up
their systems from unstable to give it a good workout. You might consider
this a wide but not ubiquitous beta. At this point, now that you have
several more times more systems in sync with the unstable tree, would it
make sense for someone ( other than the package maintainer ) to install
the package and check it out before addig it to the archive? I mean, not
an extensive feature bugcheck, just a basic integrity check to make sure
that it does not crash a system when installed.

I think everyone would agree that before a freeze is released, you should
expect anything to happen if you are in the unstable tree. There is an
implied level of security when it changes to "frozen" that all the basic
system crashing bugs have been worked out .... that is why its status was
changed.

If status can be changed to frozen and packages can be added that will
blow your system up, how are we going to get people to test after a freeze
announcement when it reality there is no comfort level that you will not
be loading something that is going to trash your system.

The problem on one of my remote servers was resolved easilly enough. I had
to make an appointment, be escorted back into the computer room, then
spend a half-hour repairing the system and taking care of a couple of
other odds/ends.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!