who's dummy?

Greetings all,

I've successfully installed Debian 2.0 on my Dell Latitute CPi 300Mhz
laptop and I'm almost completely satisfied.

I'm looking for hints/recommandation for how to setup the laptop to be
able to boot without failures in different environments. The
environments I have now are:

at home,
Dock with external monitor, 3c59x and Adaptec AIC7xxx

at work-1
No nothing

I've looked into the Netenv package from Gazette but he doesn't cover
the case where I have no network. I though the 'dummy' module was to
make my hostname with assigned IP-address a substitute for a real
network card with the same IP-address.

The netenv did not, as I understood it, discuss the loading of different
modules in different environments.

How can one for example decide which module to load depending on a
environment? I've compiled the kerneld support into my kernel (2.1.125).

I'm depending on valid hostname because I'm running both an ORB(acus)
and Sybase SQL Server (ASA) (converted from .rpm to .deb with the
wonderful package alien!).

I've browsed "The Linux Laptop Homepage" and "Netenv discussion" so
please add anything more if you can.

Best regards
- Ingvaldur