Newbie ? : mtab and X - viewports

Hey All,

Two Questions:

1)Why when I unmount my floppy using this command:
		umount /dev/fd0
   why does it erase the /dev/fd0 line from mtab?

2) When I first used X I had a virutal screen at least 2 times the size
of my display. I was using - twm I believe (what ever is standard X base
window manager). Now I use windowmaker and the display is only a few row
wider and longer. Is this determined by the viewport (I believe this is
the correct name) setting in the xf86config display section?

Thanks
Rod.....