pros and cons for procmail as local mail delivery agent?

Hi -

I have installed smail receiving mail via UUCP; runs
perfectly well.

I recently installed procmail in order to sort incoming
mail into specific mail folders. And that works well
with a .forward and .procmailrc file in my users home
directories.

But I'm a bit puzzeled by the docs in /usr/doc/procmail,
and I have to admit that I'm not an expert when it comes
to email ;-(

According to the docs one can install procmail as the
local mail delivery agent (MDA), and one can get rid of
the procmail entry in the .forward file. But in order
to do so one needs to remove the current MDA, and one
needs to edit the /etc/smail/transports file as well.

Before doing so I have some questions for the experts:

1. What are the pro and cons for MDA substitution ?
2. If I substitute my MDA by procmail will that break
   future smail and/or procmail upgrades ?
3. Is there a config utility for procmail available ?

Thanks to all,

Michael

--
We are living in a world without walls and fences, now.
So why should one need Windows and Gates, then ?