Re: just shoot me

On Sun, 18 Oct 1998 servis@purdue.edu wrote:

> Well the sysklogd_1.3-29 in slink is seriously broken and is causing all
> sorts of problems.  There is a newer version on the maintainers site
> that is reported to fix it.
>
> ftp://ftp.infodrom.north.de/pub/people/joey/debian/sysklogd_1.3-30_i386.deb

I made a point not to select that package. It really sucks. I have made an
appointment to go in there and see what happened tomarrow. It was going on
its merry way when it seemed to hang while setting up a package. After
about 5 min, I ctrl-c out of it.  I then re-ran the installation and
noticed that it could no longer connect to the archive site. I then tried
to ping it from my local machine with no response ... mind you the
original telnet session was up and running.  I looked in the logs in the
remote machine and I get a note that it saw the ping. I also noted that by
now there are dozens of news, mail, and domain connections open. It dawns
on me that the box can hear but it can't talk on any new connections.

I should never have rebooted her.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!