From: M.C. Vernon <mcv21@cus.cam.ac.uk>
To: Jesse Evans <jpjevans@earthlink.net>
Cc: Debian User Mail List <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Date: Sunday, October 18, 1998 11:22 AM
Subject: Re: Need help getting started...

>> Hi, folks!
>>
>>     I've just downloaded and installed the debian system on my home PC
and have gotten myself into a bit of trouble after running dselect. I
grabbed all the 'home system' stuff and finally got to the configuration
steps, where I was asked if I wished to have my system start up
automatically with xdm at boot time. Foolishly, I said yes. Now, after
rebooting my system, I see all the start up messages scroll down until it
gets to "starting xdm", after which the display starts blinking on and off
at a rate of about once per second. It only accepts keyboard input during
the on cycle, which is very short, thus rendering the thing essentially
useless. The only way out seems to be via the reset button.

>>    My guess is that I failed to properly configure the display manager (I
think that's what xdm is). How can I regain control of the system and reset
it so that it won't try to start xdm at boot time? Also, are there any tips
you folks might share with me regarding getting things set up properly? This
is a standalone PC-clone system and I'm just interested in learning what
linux is all about.