Re: 2.1.x series with IP-Masqing

Steve Lamb wrote:
>   Just a warning to anyone who is considering using the 2.1.x series since
> 2.2 is rumoured (I stress that word highly) to be out soon.  If you use
> IP-Masqing it appears that the 2.1.x kernels break ipfwadm.  With a broken
> ipfwadm it isn't possible to add/remove IP-Masqing rules like "normal."
> There may have been another way, but I did this on my production machine
> (silly, I know) and just simply reverted back to my 2.0.x series kernel.

IP Masquerading with 2.1 kernels is no problem.  Just install the ipmasq
package from slink (currently 3.2.3).  If you have a standard IP
Masquerade setup (one default gw, one or more internal networks to be
masq'ed) it will set up the rules automatically.  No need to write those
pesky ipfwadm rules by hand anymore :-).  It will even re-run the setup
scripts every time you bring up/down a PPP link.  Did I mention that it is
fully configurable?

No, I didn't write it, I just use it and like it very much.  Clever stuff
and a bit of shell magic.

It supports both 2.0 kernels (ipfwadm) and 2.1 kernels (ipchains).
--
       /'"`\  zzzZ  | My PGP Public Key is available at:
      ( - - )       | <http://home1.inet.tele.dk/renehl/>