repost: cd-rom installation problem - irq errors

Hello,

I finally bought the cd-rom distribution from dvd rent (Victoria, Australia
- thanks Tyson - really great service !) but am having trouble installing

the very first installation went fine but i made some config errors so
rather than trying to reconfigure the system i decided to re-install from
scratch

the problem is that the cd-rom seems to spin down and the following errors
are given :

hdc: irq timeout: status = 0xd0
hdc: ATAPI reset complete
hdc: irq timeout: status = 0xd0
hdc: ATAPI reset complete
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00, sector 444	(*** the sector number
changes ***)

the cd seems marginally readable because either a package is unpacked or a
deslected package is skipped but the cd seems to be operating at 1/4 speed
rather than 24X speed as it is supposed to

FYI, the cd rom is a Diamond Data which i believe is manufactured by
Mitsubishi.  it was installed along with my sb-16 sound card.  sorry - even
the manual isn't any more specific !!!

i have tried cold booting the machine (even leaving it overnight) and warm
booting but the errors just keep on coming !

any help very much appreciated.

ivan.