Re: Debian on Notebooks

On Fri, Oct 16, 1998 at 03:23:44PM +0200, Lukas Eppler wrote:
> I am looking for a new laptop for debian. If you run debian nicely, please
> let me know. I had some problems installing and running debian on my
> current laptop, and if I can avoid these on my next buy, I would be very
> glad.
>
> So please drop a note if you are happy with your installation.
>
> I would like to buy one with TFT screen 1024x789 w 32k colors in X, if
> possible with a nice resolution with SVGATextMode.
>
> Most information I get is on 'how can I run X on my laptop', I look for
> information the other way 'round.

Chips and Technologies chips seem to work well. My Toshiba 310CDS runs
X rather nicely. I had a lot of trouble with a friend's Acer notebook
with a Neomagic chip, though. I found a hacked SVGA server on the web
and used that (libc5 of course, and I didn't want to wait while it
recompiled).

I'm pretty happy with Linux on my Toshiba, in short. Installation hassles
with the Tecra disks but otherwise it runs fine. I get fairly regular
unexpected interrupts from the CD-ROM drive, and "interrupts while
interrupts are disabled" when doing a lot of ethernet traffic,
but nothing more serious than that.

Hamish