CDROM ATAPI module in new Kernel?

Dear Debs,

I asked this already once but with no success. Let me retry.

When I boot with the standard Debian 2.0.34 kernel, I get the message
CD-44 E ATAPI CDROM Drive
which is correct (I have a Teac CD-44E, swappable with a floppy drive in
a Thinkpad 760) and everything works with it.
I had to recompile the kernel, however, (to include ISDN support for a
recent card, by the way): according to the documentation (CDROM-HOWTO,
Kernel-HOWTO,etc.), it is sufficient to select (with Yes) the kernel
compilation options
BLK_DEV_IDE, BLK_DEV_IDECD, and ISO9660_FS
to have support for an IDE/ATAPI CDROM drive.
I did it, but the boot message now says "can't find cdrom module": indeed,
there is no file.o in /lib/modules/2.0.3x/cdrom, not even cdrom.o (the
module that runs when I boot with the Debian kernel).
How does one get cdrom.o in /lib/modules...?
Is it necessary to select at least one type of module for compilation in
order to have the generic module cdrom.o? The documentaiton says NO.

Thank you.
Remo
| Dr. Remo Badii             | Paul Scherrer Institute   |
| Nonlinear Dynamics and     | 5232 Villigen PSI         |
| Stochastic Processes Group | Switzerland               |
| badii "at" psi.ch          | http://www1.psi.ch/~badii |