Re: netscape4.x cannot read debian-user list archives

Jan Krupa wrote:
> I have installed netscape4.5b2 under debian2.0.
>  When I try to read debian-user mailing list archives
> (e.g. from September, august) first
> time it's O.K. but next times on the same month archives
> netscape just hangs I have to kill it (the archives are very big).
>
>  When I try to read much smaller archives (e.g. debian-changes,
> September) it's all right.
>
> I had the same behavior using netscape4.x, but netscape3.x
> reads the archives well.
>
> Does anybody have any idea  what causes such behavior of netscape ?
>  May be I have configured netscape wrong.
>  My be I some hint what change in preferences?

I think this is a cache related bug, as turning off the (disk) cache in
Netscape will prevent this from happening (at least for me).

One workaround is to turn off the disk cache (size = 0) and use a caching
proxy server (such as squid) instead.  This will of course use a fair
amount of RAM.

Another workaround is to follow links from the main article index using
the middle mouse button.  This will tell Netscape to open the link in a
new window so that you never have to reload the index from cache in the
first window.

Oh well, I really ought to file a bug report with Netscape :-)

YMMV.
--
       /'"`\  zzzZ  | My PGP Public Key is available at:
      ( - - )       | <http://home1.inet.tele.dk/renehl/>