Re: Is Supra 336i a Winmodem?

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Andrew Ivanov wrote:

 : I have been trying to get my modem to work in debian, and unfortunately,
 : unsuccessfully.
 : I have 486DX4, it's got SupraExpress 336i Sp modem installed in it. My
 : primary boot right now is Win95, until I can get debian setup. Modem works
 : perfectly with Windows.
 : In debian what happens is:
 : Modem is on COM3, at least this is what Windows tells me.
 : setserial /dev/ttyS2 gives me output :
 : UART unknown, IRQ 4, Port 0x03e8
 :
 : When I run wvdialconf, it tells me that modem was not detected, asks if
 : it's in use by any other programs, etc.
 :
 : Any idea why is this not working? How can I check if this is a Winmodem?
 : Any suggestions, please?

Well, due to old habits I usually round up a DOS boot disk and try
something like this:

  ECHO ATX0 > COM3
  ECHO ATDT123456789 > COM3

If a modem actually exists at COM3 these two commands will make the
modem go off-hook, ignore dialtone, and dial "123456789".  You probably
don't want a phone line connected for this test :)

I suppose you could do the same test within linux:

  echo atx0 > /dev/ttyS2
  echo atdt123456789 > /dev/ttyS2

However, since setserial didn't do much for you I'd guess you're
screwed.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD