Help with getting my mail

Hello all,

I have had a fetchmail setup working for some time.  However, today I
started getting funny errors when I try to get my mail:

reading message 9 of 19 (1710 bytes) .fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed: Connection refused
fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from pop03.ca.us.ibm.net

I can, however, telnet to port 25 of localhost:

whitehouse$ telnet localhost 25

and hook up to the popserver manually.  And interestingly after I
telnet to port 25 of my machine, the next time (and only the next
time) I use fetchmail, it seems to work.

So what gives.  I have an up-to-date Debian 2.0, 40meg RAM, etc..

Thanks in advance,

Ben

--
   __o        Benjamin White, MD <bewhite@bgsm.edu>