Re: NIS

Gilbert Laycock writes:

 > Alex> Is anyone using NIS with hamm? I'm trying to set it to work
 > Alex> against a Solaris NIS server and it doesn't work. I've got
 > Alex> everything up to the point that "ypcat passwd" indeed cats all
 > Alex> the passwd file from the NIS server (with the passwords replaced
 > Alex> with "##username"). My /etc/passwd has a +:::::: entry in the
 > Alex> end, and /etc/group - the +::: entry. /etc/nsswitch.conf says
 > Alex> "compat" for passwd, group, and shadow. And yet, when I try to
 > Alex> log in using one of the usernames from the NIS server, it won't
 > Alex> let me. Has anyone stumbled upon anything like this?
 >
 > Alex> I suspect it has something to do with the way shadow passwords
 > Alex> work in Solaris and in Linux. However, on an adjacent Slackware
 > Alex> box it works flawlessly. What can be the problem?
 >
 > Is the Solaris NIS server running NIS+ ? If so you might be out of
 > luck, unless you are prepared to build your own glibc. See
 >   http://www-vt.uni-paderborn.de/~kukuk/linux/nisplus.html

No, it's running NIS. The responsible sysadmin swears that it is.
However, in the meantime I found a message on Usenet asking the exact
same question. There was no good answer there, so I e-mailed the
author personally to ask if he solved it and he told me that there's a
very simple bug in glibc that I need to patch, and then rebuild
glibc. (If anyone wants that message tell me - I just don't have it
here at this moment.)  Since the machine in question is a
486DX2-66/16MB, I started the build today in the afternoon, and I hope
that by tomorrow morning it will be done. :-)

 > On the other hand, if the server is running NIS (or NIS+ in NIS
 > emulation mode) then it should work fine (except for netgroups). I use
 > it all the time, and your setup sounds OK to me.

Yep, it should - I agree. I try to explain it to the machine but it's
ruthless. :-)

--
Alex Shnitman
alexsh@linux.org.il   UIN 188956