Re: Networking (lowbie)

The Gimp wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am lost..
>
> Situation:
> 2 Linux boxs both with Debian, one slink the other hamm.
> Both have network NE2K cards and both are seen by Linux.
> The Slink box has a ppp connection to the net but I
> don't as of right now need to access the net w/the hamm
> computer. I just want each box to see each other for
> right now. (ie ping and telnet) other stuff will come
> later. I have read the NET-3-HOWTO but I kinda lost on it.
>
> topology- two node star(dumb hub) (media utp)
>
> In my slink box, I have a resolv.conf set up for my ppp
> connection to my isp right now. So in the NET-3-howto
> it shows me to set up resolv.conf up with a domain,
> search and nameservers..which are there for the ISP
> but how would I "add too" that for use for the eth0 too?
>
> I have named my computers really simple like:
> slink box w/ppp is names warhammer
> and the other box
> hamm box is named inferno (heh my soon to be a firewall<g>)
>
> These arn't real domain names or anything..sigh..see
> were my lowbe arse is right now?
>
> What IP can I use for both the eth0 cards on each one?
> right now I am thinking :
> warhammer will have 192.168.0.2 and the inferno will be
> 192.168.0.1 ...does this look ok?
>
> (I have no static IP, offical domainname to use)
>
> I have used
> ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.# netmask 255.255.255.0 up
> on each one.. but this is where I am....
>
> I need to edit /etc/ resolv.conf & hosts and then
> add route..  is this it? then is should be good
> to at least ping each other? or telnet in ?
> Still not sure how I would go add the eth0 info
> ontop of my resolv.conf ppp(isp) info on the one box..
> (yea my isp uses dynamic) I don't need my network to
> use the ppp (WWW) yet..just to see each other..
>
> Can someone take some time to help me a bit more?
> Please don't be criptic..

I assume you can now ping the boxes with the IP addresses
and just need to set up resolution of the names.
Try it from 192.168.0.2:
ping 192.168.0.1

Does it work?  Good...
Now, just edit your /etc/hosts on each box to add the lines

192.168.0.1  warhammer.domainname  warhammer
192.168.0.2  inferno.domainname    inferno

where dommainname is the domain name you set up for
your local network.

Now you should be able to do (from warhammer):
ping inferno

Is this what you needed?

-Mitch