Smail permissions

I'm having some problems getting smail to work properly. I can receive
mail fine if I run everything as root. When I sign in as a non-root user
and then run runq (which is a link to smail) I get the following error
message:

runq: setgroups() failed: Operation not permitted

runq: cannot open /var/log/smail/paniclog: Permission denied

runq: cannot open /var/log/smail/paniclog: Permission denied

runq 10/14/1998 22:40:02: mailer error: cannot open
/var/log/smail/paniclog: Permission denied

I also get a similar message from a cron job that tries to run runq as
user mail.

I looked at the source for smail and found the place where it's calling
setgroups(). If I'm understanding the man pages correctly, one has to be
root to run setgroups(). Does that mean that my setup is wrong somehow?
I hope that I don't have to root to run smail.

As far as /var/log/smail/paniclog goes, I created it with the same
rights as /var/log/smail/logfile, which smail doesn't seem to have any
problem accessing.

Anybody have any ideas?

Mitchell Surface
Fort Wayne, IN USA