Re: German Umlauts on the console.

On: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 01:57:51 +0200 Stephan Engelke writes:

> Hi everyone,
> my system keeps giving me keyboard related toubles. I am running
> Debian 2.0 with Kernel 2.1.123. I am trying to get a German keyboard
> layout on the console. My keymap is de-latin1-nodeadkeys.map.  The
> problem is: I cannot get German umlauts to display on the console.
> The curious thing is: I umlauts are displayed at the login prompt,
> but as soon as I log in, either as normal user or as root, the
> umlaut keys are not recognized anymore, no umlaut-characters are
> displayed, the cursor does not advance, furthermore the
> "sharp-S"-key displays the last command entered.  I checked the
> Keyboard HOWTO but had no luck following its suggestions.
> Does anyone have any pointers for me?

Check the contents of /etc/inputrc, it should contain:

# /etc/inputrc - global inputrc for libreadline
# See readline(3readline) and `info readline' for more information.

# This allows iso-latin1 characters to be inserted directly, but requires
# you to use Esc-<char> instead of M-<char>.
# set convert-meta off

# Be 8 bit clean.
set input-meta on
set output-meta on

In addition you should set LC_CTYPE to de_DE.ISO-8859-1, a suitable
place should be /etc/profile:

LC_CTYPE=de_DE.ISO-8859-1
export LC_CTYPE

	Torsten