UDMA Disk Errors Fixed

Pretty tired at this point but I got it fixed. It is a combination of BIOS
and disk parameters.

Motherboard is Award BIOS with SiS chipset. The section under PCI and
Onboard IO is set up thusly:

CPU-PCI Burst Mem Write - Enabled
CPU-PCI Post Mem Write - Enabled
Internal PCI/IDE - Both
IDE Pri Master PIO - Auto
        Secondary  - Auto
IDE Sec Master PIO - Auto
        Secondary  - Auto
Primary IDE Prefetch - DISABLED
Secondary IDE Prefetch - DISABLED
IDE Burst Mode - Enabled
IDE Post Write - Disabled
IDE HDD BLock Mode - Enabled

Then I fiddled with hdparms. The important thing on the  UDMA drive
appears to be disabling the internal prefetch with -A 0 and disaling
multiseek with -m 0. My flags look like this:

hdparm -A 0 -m 0 -c 3 -u 1 -a 4 -k 1 /dev/hdc

End of errors.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!