Re: Urgent Help needed please

According to Mike Touloumtzis  <miket@geoworks.com>:
> 1) You usually don't have to reboot to fsck a filesystem, especially
>    a non-root filesystem.  First, kick off your users (shutdown -k is
>    useful for this).  Then umount the filesystem, fsck it, and remount it.
>    This works great for /home, not so well for /var, since it tends to
>    be in use all the time.
Unfortunately the error(s) was/were on the /var partition.  (see above)
This reminds me that I can't even tell now what errors were reported
and fixed by fsck. :-(  Is there really no way to rewrite the startup
scripts so that they log _all_ the messages?

>    If you can't umount it, take the system to
>    single-user mode with 'telinit 1', then try the umount/fsck.
That wouldn't work either in my case, because I only have remote
access to this machine.

> 2) If you're wondering whether or not fsck will be run at boot time:
>    most Linux/Unix installations, including Debian, test for the
>    presence of a /forcefsck file in the rc scripts at boot time.  If
>    this file exists, all filesystems in /etc/fstab are fsck'ed.  So:
> 	# touch /forcefsck
> 	# shutdown -r now
>    Check out /etc/init.d/checkfs.sh for more details.
Oh, that's very interesting!!!  Thanks a lot for that hint.

Thanks for your help!
 Andy.

--
 Andy Spiegl, University of Technology, Muenchen, Germany
 E-Mail: Andy@spiegl.de     URL: http://www.spiegl.de