Re: Urgent Help needed please

On Mon, Oct 12, 1998 at 06:10:24PM +0000, Andy Spiegl wrote:
> Hi!
>
> trying to install new packages I just noticed that I can't write to
> /var/lib/dpkg anymore.  The error I get is:
> "No space left on device".
>
> I took a look at /var/log/kern.log and found this:
>
> ... kernel: EXT2-fs error (device 08:07): ext2_new_block: Free blocks count \
>      corrupted for block group 4
> ... last message repeated 207 times
> ... last message repeated 133 times
> and so on.
>
> Help!  What can I do to resolve this without rebooting the machine?
> Well, I guess I could reboot it, but it is very far away from me and if it
> gets stuck during the reboot I'd have an even bigger problem.  Besides,
> there are some users logged in and I'd hate to kick them out. :-(
>
> Please send help soon!
> Thanks so much in advance,
>  Andy.

I've read the other messages in this thread, so I know you survived
ok :-).  But for future reference, here are some helpful things to know:

1) You usually don't have to reboot to fsck a filesystem, especially
   a non-root filesystem.  First, kick off your users (shutdown -k is
   useful for this).  Then umount the filesystem, fsck it, and remount it.
   This works great for /home, not so well for /var, since it tends to
   be in use all the time.  If you can't umount it, take the system to
   single-user mode with 'telinit 1', then try the umount/fsck.

2) If you're wondering whether or not fsck will be run at boot time:
   most Linux/Unix installations, including Debian, test for the
   presence of a /forcefsck file in the rc scripts at boot time.  If
   this file exists, all filesystems in /etc/fstab are fsck'ed.  So:
	# touch /forcefsck
	# shutdown -r now
   Check out /etc/init.d/checkfs.sh for more details.

miket