Motherboard Sound Device Gyrations

Ben Collins <b.m.collins@larc.nasa.gov> 13 Oct 98

On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, Bert Conliffe wrote:

> I too am having the same difficulty, getting my motherboard
> sound device to be recognized by the current linux sound
> drivers.  I've done all sorts of gyrations with the kernel
> and configuring sound ( I've configured fixed and loadable
> modules ), and to date, it always comes back the same.
> The configuration takes place, but the devices are not found.
> I've also used MSS" in my configurations, to no avail.

  I've done ALL sorts of gyrations with the kernel  and configuring
  sound ( I've configured fixed and LOADABLE MODULES ),
  and to date, it always comes back the same.

  I've used:
    pnpdump  > /etc/isapnp.conf,
    cat  /etc/isapnp.conf,
    modprobe -a sound trace_init=1,
    modprobe -r sound,
    cat  /dev/sndstat,
    cat / etc/isapnp.conf,
    cat campana.au > /dev/audio,
    cat sample > /dev/dsp,
    cat /proc/devices
    playmidi -f gato.mid
    playmidi -4 gato.mid
  while trying to configure and test.
  Please let me know what else to try.

  From: George Bonser  grep@oriole.sbay.org

> I've contacted several linux/sound/knowledgeable persons,
> and they all state that the current sound drivers do not
> support the motherboard sound device.

Do the OSS sound drivers properly set the device up? They have a free
30-day trial version of their sound drivers on their web page ... or
they
USED to.

  From:   Hannu Savolainen <hannu@opensound.com>
      To:   Bert Conliffe <bconliff@pan.gbm.net>

Hi,

I don't think OSS/Free supports your card. It may be possible if you
initialize the card using isapnptools prior loading the driver module.

Best regards,
Hannu

I'm still open for suggestions...

Bert