Re: Urgent Help needed please

On Mon, Oct 12, 1998 at 11:50:09AM -0700, George Bonser wrote:
> You are going to probably need physical access to the machine to run fsck
> from the console. It is possible that it might repair itself on a reboot
> but if it has problems, it will come up in single-user mode wanting input
> from the console and you are going to have to go to the machine anyway (or
> talk someone through pressing the "y" key during the fsck).
>
> Risking fsck on a live filesystem that is in use is not something to be
> taken lightly ... is it possible that the drive really IS full?

Well, you can modify the startup scripts to provide the switch which tells
fsck to assume yes for everything; usually that's what you'd hit on the
console anyway. I've did this on my one remote deployed box back
in the Debian 1.1 days (haven't checked to see if my change is still
in there in 2.0, since the box only gets visited about twice a year
for hardware tweaks, with no reboots in between).

Hamish