lilo - booting from a device

	Does anyone know how to determine what sectors on a partition a
given file is occupying ?  The lilo docs state that when specifying a device
name, one also has to say what sectors to map (either by giving a beginning
and an end, or a beginning and an offset).

	Here is what I am trying to do.  I want to play with different
distributions just to see what they are like, but boot them from the
harddrive.  I currently have Deb installed to hda3.  hda1 and hda2 are 5MB
partitions, on which I install /boot from another distro, so that the kernel
images within fall well below the 1024 cyl. limit.

	I am not at the machine I am doing this on, nor are they networked,
so the following details may not be 100% accurate (syntax wise).  This box
has no DOS.  Lilo is installed directly to the MBR.  So, the lilo.conf looks
something like

---------------
boot=/dev/hda
[prompt, delay, timeout, etc.]
image=/vmlinuz
   label=olddistro
   root=/dev/hda3
--------------

to which I want to add something like
-------------
image=/dev/hda1  # this is the partition /w kernel of new distro
   label=newdistro
   root=/dev/hda12  #this is / of new distro
   sectors[or whatever the variable name is]=

For floppies I've seen that it is something like 1+512, so I guess the image
must start on the second sector of the floppy.  there must be someway to
determine the sector info for any file.

Any ideas ? TIA.

Gerald