printing trouble - operation not supportet by device

Hi everyone,
I am looking for help with the printing subsystem, or rather /dev/lp1 in
general.  FYI I'm running Debian 2.0 with Kernel 2.1.123.
I've got the follwing problem:  whenever I try to print anything I get
the
following errormessage from lpq (print job started by root to avoid
permission
problems):
Printer: lp@terra  'Local Deskjet'
Queue: 1 printable job
Server: pid 282 active
Unspooler: pid 283 active
[ deleted ]

When I try to "cat /etc/profile > /dev/lp1" I get the same error
message: bash:
/dev/lp1: Operation not supported by device.
This also happens with kernel version 2.0.35.
Does anyone have anyone have any idea what might cause this?
I tried to compile the parallel printer support as a module and directly
into
the kernel. Both ways yielded the same results.
I also disabled the parallel port IDE device support?
Any hints are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
So long,
Stephan
--
Stephan Engelke                            engelke@math.uni-hamburg.de
+++ Divide by cucumber +++ Out of cheese error +++ Redo from start +++