Re: FYI: DMA/33 and kernels

MORE INFO

WHat I mean to say is that if you install a DMA/33 drive that claimes to
be compatable with IDE, I get a ton of errors that look like this:

hd<whatever>: multwrite_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hd<whatever>: multwrite_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
hd<whatever>: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
hd<whatever>: no DRQ after issuing WRITE
ide1: reset: success

I get MANY fewer with 2.0.32.  In fact, I get many per minute with
2.0.3(3-5) yet only a few per day with 2.0.32. This is with plain vanilla
hdparm settings (i.e. the defaults)

Also, with 2.0.35 I kept getting errors for illegal blocks, accesses
beyond the end of the device, fsck failures due to illegal blocks in
inodes requiring manual repair, etc.  None of these problems with 2.0.32.
I first noticed this earlier this year when I installed an 8G drive on a
2.0.33 box. I could not keep the bux running more than a day until I
reverted to 2.0.32 and put the large disk as the slave on the primary IDE.

These are two different brands of motherboards with two different chipsets
that show the same results.