Re: xserver for Matrox Productiva?

> Hi,
>
> my new PC has a Matrox Productiva AGP graphics card, and I'm
> installing Debian on it. There doesn't seem to be a xserver in hamm or
> slink by now -- or is anybody running X-win on such a beast?
>
> I know that SuSe has developped a special server for the Productiva,
> but how to install this one in a Debian system?

I think the following procedure works:

- get the suse xserver
- use _debian's_ xf86config to configure for some card that uses the
  svga server (like the diamond viper 330) and your correct mouse and
  monitor settings (and video card memory), make sure not to probe or
  test anything
- change the first line of /etc/X11/Xserver into the path name of your
  xserver
- run startx to see if it works

It might be a good idea to read /usr/doc/xbase/readme.README to
understand the debian X11 setup.  Do not use the SUSE xf86config, or if
you do, don't let it make /usr/bin/X11/X a link to the xserver and make
sure that the XF86Config file is written into /etc/X11 instead of
somewhere else.

HTH,
Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032