scsi boot up problems? simplifed request??

I've simplified my request.  I suspect it may belong on another list
(linux kernel?  linux and adaptecs or linux and SCSI?  are there
such lists?)

Desperate for any help, pointers etc.!

Chris

------- Modified Message Follows -------

I get the following on booting system with clean resc1440.bin
floppy:

<4> Detected scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0
<6> (scsi1:0:-1:-1) Scanning channel for devices
<4> (scsi0:-1:-1:-1) Bad scbptr 255 during SELTO.
<4> (scsi0:-1:-1:-1) Referenced SCB 255 not valid druing SELTO
<4>          SCSISEQ = 0x12 SEQADDR = 0xa SSTAT0 = 0x15
SSTAT1 = 0x8a
<4> scsi    :   detected 2 SCSI cdroms 2 SCSI disks total.

The three error lines are then repeated but with SSTAT1 = 0x88
later.

I get the same message whether I use channel A or B on the
controller and both have the lines starting (scsi0:-1:-1:-1) which
suggests to me this is something to do with that channel on the
controller, as handled by linux, not something to do with the drives.
The controller says all the drives (four hard discs, two CDROMs)
are there and that the discs verify fine.  Set up worked fine under
linux with 90MHz P5 motherboard before with Award BIOS, now
has 300MHz K6 with later Award BIOS.  Linux initialisation of the
two SCSI channels appears to go fine, problem appears to be at
the next stage.  What are SCBS?!!  What is a SELTO?  What are
those hex values?  More to the point, where do I find out or find
someone who knows?!

Chris Evans, R&D Consultant,
Tavistock & Portman NHS Trust