Re: building a boot disk

On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, tracheotomy_bob wrote:

> I would really like to be able to build a system up from scratch. While =
> I appreciate the excellence that is debian, I find that for =
> understanding how everything fits together building a system up from =
> scratch helps. Initially I only had the debian install disks, and I had =
> to ftp XFree86 myself and it seemed to make sense, so now I want to do =
> the same for a complete system. I need to be able to download EVERY =
> component from the net and cobble together a boot disk, then be able to =
> ftp the rest or copy it off some other media (disk or cd). Ideally the =
> building of a boot disk sould be able to be done under any OS, but I'll =
> bow to the groups wisdom in that aspect.=20
> If someone can supply some good pointers or and idiot proof guide then =
> I'd be grateful. This is probably a really stupid idea but I want to do =
> it anyway.
>
> Thanks

I think it's a great idea. I was just thinking the other day how that the
install programs for Debian, Slackware, etc, make it easier for getting a
system up, but a newbie really needs to do a manual install once to get a
better feel for how everything works together. One of these days I'm
going to do this also, but for now, it's on the back burner.

Kent